Ever wonder what happens when there are spiderwebs between the joists of your deck after a snow/ice storm? Here’s what happens:
Got a TON of stuff done today, and it shows. You know how sometimes when you are working on a project and it doesn’t look like much is getting done? Well, it isn’t that way today. I got a lot of the handrail and stair rail up today. Also, with KC’s help I got the lattice up on the street side. Still have some lattice and screen to go, but really got a lot of stuff done today. I need a few hours (or one good day) to finish it off for the winter. There will still be things to do for it this spring, but until then….
Made a lot of progress today! Got the entire walking surface done – All of the steps, all of the upper level and all of the sitting level! Wow! At the very least, it’s usable! We had pizza delivered for dinner tonight and the delivery guy used the deck! Tomorrow – the railing and if there’s time the lattice.
Took a half-day vacation from work and used it to work on the front deck. I got all the upper level floor boards down. I got all the two step stringers run from the upper level to the lower level. I also got the middle step in place. I had to stop because I ran out of deckmount. Also, I purchased two 500 watt halogen lights and did they ever make a difference. I worked until about 7pm, even though it gets dark about 5pm at this time of year.
Lots done today. I built up the retaining wall at the back of the new cement slab. I then painted the cement block wall gray to match the house. Then I ran the stringers for the steps that go from the driveway level to the deck’s upper level. Of course, I miscalculated the height of the retaining wall and had to change that on the fly to accommodate the stringers. Then I framed in the sitting level of the deck. All in all it was a very productive day.
Again, not much was done. There was rain all afternoon, so the progress I made was in the morning… after an early rain. I made the most of the 3 hours without rain, though. Got the primer coat on the wall that was previously covered by dirt and got a number of the floor boards down on the upper level. I’ll have to get the retaining wall back in place before I finish the upper part as I fear I’ll be dropping dirt on my new cement pad and don’t want dirt where the bottom row will be.
What a rotten day. It rained off and on all day, so not much was done. I put down the deckmount (check the photos to see what deckmount is). I also cleared out an area and put the pavers saved from the old patio bench area there to act as a landing for the steps off the deck. I did remember that I have a canopy; I won it at a trivia night a while back. That helped as I could work in a small area (6′ x 6′) and be protected somewhat from the rain. Tomorrow I should be able to get the upper level deck floor in place; then we’ll have at least a serviceable front door!
There was a lot going on today. I ordered and poured ready-mix concrete and poured my little slab that will be under the “sitting” level of the deck and under the steps. I also framed the upper level of the deck. It will be a few days before I can build the retaining wall at the back edge of the concrete and then do the steps and the “sitting” level. But tomorrow I should be able to put the “floor” of the upper level down and maybe even do the steps stringers to the ground off the upper level. Here’s today’s progress: