July 15, 2012
Still no headway on the last piece of trim for the door in the upstairs hallway. Oh well… I’ll just keep trying at Menards until the trim comes in. Also, I haven’t done the painting in the entry way. So it goes… In the mean time…
Saturday morning I dragged the washer, dryer, toilet and vanity out to the garage. Next, I took out the old shelves in the laundry room. Then I cleaned up the floor as best as I could with an ice chipper to scrape the crud off the cement and then used a chisel to even out some of the worst stuff. Then it was time for the real work. I laid out all the tiles, cutting the ones that needed and fitted them all in with spacers. Then I mixed up the mortar (mortar with polymer) and smoothed it out according to the directions and laid the tile. It all went rather well. I even got done in time to go to the Riverside Casino and catch the Joe Walsh concert!
Today, I put up the new shelves, grouted the tile and then trimmed the area where the washer and dryer will go. Tomorrow will be installing the washer, dryer and vanity. I won’t be able to do anything more until the weekend due to other stuff (ain’t it amazing how life gets in the way of home improvement projects?). But at least we’ll be able to do laundry!
Here’s the photos:
The new shelves already up and loaded.
The floor in the laundry room.
Bathroom floor – no trim
The laundry room floor from the bathroom
June 24, 2012
So I’ve taken this week off of work as vacation, or stay-cation as you may call it. I have three upgrades to work on and hope the installer can schedule this week. Here’s the details:
- Three weeks ago, we had the hose between the washer and the shut-off valve burst and had water all over the basement. I just put down a laminate wood floor a short time ago, so it was kind of a bummer. We had a crew come in and take up the floor – it was ruined by the water. It took them a half hour to take out the floor while it took me several days to install the floor. Since insurance is covering this, the installer should be here to replace the laminate floor. It shouldn’t take a professional installer more than a day to put in the floor (unlike me!).
- I’m working on replacing our stairs from the family room on the lower level to the upper level. Oak treads and off-white risers on the stairs, with the off-white matching the wall color. I currently have all the wood cut out and am putting coats of paint on the risers and coats of urethane on the treads. I should be able to get the new stairs in on Tuesday. I’ll have photos later of before/after. Along with the stairs, I’m replacing the handrails and the railing at the edge of the stairs in our upstairs living room. I should be able to work on this Tuesday and finish it up Wednesday. Again, I’ll have before/after photos.
- I’m also going to take up the carpet in the hallway upstairs and replace it with matching laminate flooring. With any luck, I can get most of this done on Monday. I may have to work around a few things to get this done. But it should be done some time this week.
- The final project is to replace the flooring in the laundry room and the adjacent bathroom. This was to be the main project for the week, but other things have happened and the “honey-do” list has moved other items up on the list. I have the floor tiles and the thinset to do the floor, I just need to get the washer, dryer, lavatory and stool out of the bathroom in order to put the floor down. I’m also putting up a wall in the bathroom to make it a bit less of a “utility” bathroom. My original plan was to tile the shower, but that may change with me getting a shower surround kit and installing that. Should be less work than tiling.
So much for a fun stay-cation.
September 6, 2010
September 5, 2010
September 2, 2010
August 29, 2010
It was inevitable. You see, I had remodeled our upstairs bathroom 10-15 years ago (don’t remember the exact date) and we got a LOT of the stuff that we wanted. However: times change, tastes change, trends change, yada, yada, yada. So, here I am again remodeling. Here’s a description of what we had: the walls were textured and painted white with an oak-look wainscoting, trim and chair-rail. The rest of it you can see in one of the photos. What I’ve done so far is remove the medicine cabinet (it will be replaced with a newer one), sand down the walls so the texture is now smooth (KC wants smooth walls now), replace some drywall that I broke during trim removal (I’m not perfect…..) and then spread drywall mud over the corners, seams and in some places over texture that I couldn’t sand down smooth. Here’s the progress so far: