June 16, 2014
So I’ve been updating my website with WordPress updates and theme updates and such, but I just noticed that today marks six months since I’ve posted. That’s the longest time I’ve ever went without posting here. There are various reasons for this:
- Facebook – Most of my posting any more is on Facebook. All of my “Happy Birthday” and “Happy Anniversary” wishes I now post there. Also, any of the really interesting or cool jokes I get sent via email are now posted on Facebook.
- Forums – I do spend a lot of time on forums. Like ZDNet and LXer for computer news and Hawkeye Nation for Iowa Hawkeye news. Lots of reading, interaction and posting there.
- LinkedIn – While I haven’t been on LinkedIn much, I have been there. And it does take away time that was spent posting here.
- Life Changes – As my family grows I spend more time with them and less with the computer in general.
OK. So this is just a short post, but I plan to start posting here more. First off I have a couple of home improvement projects I want to post about. And I have a new line of information to explore that is different than any I’ve posted about before. (Yes, that’s a teaser)
December 16, 2013
Texas A&M Study Calls Obama 5th Best President in America
Good research work by a fine institution.
From a total of 44 US Presidents: Obama is rated as the 5th best President ever! The A&M’s Public Relations Office released the following statement, “…after only 5 years in office, Americans have rated President Obama the 5th best President ever.” The details according to TEXAS A&M:
- Reagan & Lincoln tied for first.
- Twenty three presidents tied for second.
- Seventeen other presidents tied for third.
- Jimmy Carter came in fourth.
- Obama came in fifth!
This appears to be totally reasonable . . . . . .
November 19, 2013
WHEN I FINISHED READING THIS, I WAS UPSET THAT SO MANY DON’T CARE!
Looking back through the past 5 years, many “Whens” pop up. Read them all to better understand where we are going as a country…
- When he refused to disclose who donated money to his election campaign, as other candidates had done, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he received endorsements from people like Louis Farrakhan, Muramar Kaddafi and Hugo Chavez, people said it didn’t matter.
- When it was pointed out that he was a total newcomer and had absolutely no experience at anything except community organizing, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he chose friends and acquaintances such as Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn who were revolutionary radicals, people said it didn’t matter.
- When his voting record in the Illinois Senate and in the U.S. Senate came into question, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he refused to wear a flag lapel pin and did so only after a public outcry, people said it didn’t matter.
- When people started treating him as a Messiah and children in schools were taught to sing his praises, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he stood with his hands over his groin area for the playing of the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he surrounded himself in the White House with advisors who were pro-gun control, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual marriage and wanting to curtail freedom of speech to silence the opposition, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he said he favors sex education in kindergarten, including homosexual indoctrination, people said it didn’t matter.
- When his personal background was either scrubbed or hidden and nothing could be found about him, people said it didn’t matter.
- When the place of his birth was called into question, and he refused to produce a birth certificate, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he had an association in Chicago with Tony Rezco – a man of questionable character and who is now in prison and had helped Obama to a sweet deal on the purchase of his home – people said it didn’t matter.
- When it became known that George Soros, a multi-billionaire Marxist, spent a ton of money to get him elected, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he started appointing White House Czars that were radicals, revolutionaries, and even avowed Marxist/Communists, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he stood before the Nation and told us that his intentions were to “fundamentally transform this Nation” into something else, people said it didn’t matter.
- When it became known that he had trained ACORN workers in Chicago and served as an attorney for ACORN, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed cabinet members and several advisers who were tax cheats and socialists, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed a Science Czar, John Holdren, who believes in forced abortions, mass sterilizations and seizing babies from teen mothers, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed Cass Sunstein as Regulatory Czar who believes in “Explicit Consent”, harvesting human organs without family consent and allowing animals to be represented in court, while banning all hunting, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed Kevin Jennings, a homosexual and organizer of a group called Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Education Network as Safe School Czar and it became known that he had a history of bad advice to teenagers, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed Mark Lloyd as Diversity Czar who believes in curtailing free speech, taking from one and giving to another to spread the wealth, who supports Hugo Chavez, people said it didn’t matter.
- When Valerie Jarrett, an avowed Socialist, was selected as Obama’s Senior White House Advisor, people said it didn’t matter.
- When Anita Dunn, White House Communications Director, said Mao Tse Tung was her favorite philosopher and the person she turned to most for inspiration, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed Carol Browner, a well-known socialist as Global Warming Czar working on Cap and Trade as the nation’s largest tax, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he appointed Van Jones, an ex-con and avowed Communist as Green Energy Czar, who since had to resign when this was made known, people said it didn’t matter.
- When Tom Daschle, Obama’s pick for Health and Human Services Secretary could not be confirmed because he was a tax cheat, people said it didn’t matter.
- When as President of the United States, he bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he traveled around the world criticizing America and never once talking of her greatness, people said it didn’t matter.
- When his actions concerning the Middle East seemed to support the Palestinians over Israel, our longtime ally, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he took American tax dollars to resettle thousands of Palestinians from Gaza to the United States, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he upset the Europeans by removing plans for missile defense system against the Russians, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he played politics in Afghanistan by not sending troops early-on when the Field Commanders said they were necessary to win, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he started spending us into a debt that was so big we could not pay it off, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he took a huge spending bill under the guise of stimulus and used it to pay off organizations, unions, and individuals that got him elected, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he took over insurance companies, car companies, banks, etc., people said it didn’t matter.
- When he took away student loans from the banks and put it through the government, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he designed plans to take over the health care system and put it under government control, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he claimed he was a Christian during the election and video was later made public that showed Obama speaking to a Muslim group and ‘stating’ that he was raised a Muslim, was educated as a Muslim, and is still a Muslim, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he set into motion a plan to take over the control of all energy in the United States through Cap and Trade, people said it didn’t matter.
- When he finally completed his transformation of America into a Socialist State, people woke up… but it was too late.
Add these up one by one and you get a score that points to the fact that Barrack Hussein Obama is determined to turn America into a Marxist-Socialist society. All of the items in the preceding paragraphs have been put into place. All can be documented very easily. Before you disavow this, do an Internet search. The last paragraph alone is not yet cast in stone. You and I will write that paragraph.
Will it read as above or will it be a happier ending for most of America?
Don’t just belittle the opposition. Search for the truth. We all need to pull together or watch the demise of a free democratic society. We need to seek the truth and take action for it will keep us FREE. Our biggest enemy is not China, Russia, North Korea or Iran. Our biggest enemy is our complacent selves. The government will not help, so we need to do it ourselves.
Question… will you ignore this, or pass it on to others who don’t know about Obama’s actions and plans for the USA, so that they may know how to vote in November 2014, and the ensuing years?
It’s your decision. I believe it does matter.
October 24, 2013
If you start with a cage containing five monkeys and inside the cage, hang a banana on a string from the top and then you place a set of stairs under the banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.
As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray all the other monkeys with cold water.
After a while another monkey makes an attempt with same result…all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
Now, put the cold water away. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one.
The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs. To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.
Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new one.
The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment…with enthusiasm, because he is now part of the “team”.
Then, replace a third original monkey with a new one, followed by the fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.
Now, the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys will have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, not one of the monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.
Why, you ask? Because in their minds…that is the way it has always been!
This, my friends, is how Congress operates…and this is why, from time to time ALL of the monkeys need to be REPLACED AT THE SAME TIME.
September 20, 2013
- If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally … you might live in a country run by idiots.
- If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion …. You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched … You might live in a country run by idiots (or a Muslim).
- If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher’s “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing and free cell phones … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government … You might live in a country run by idiots.
- If you are offended by this article, I’ll bet you voted for the idiots Who are running, and ruining our great country.
August 23, 2013
The Human Body is a treasure trove of mysteries, one that still confounds doctors and scientists about the details of its working. It’s not an overstatement to say that every part of your body is a miracle. Here are fifty facts about your body, some of which will leave you stunned…or really creep you out!!
- It’s possible for your body to survive without a surprisingly large fraction of its internal organs. Even if you lose your stomach, your spleen, 75% of your liver, 80% of your intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from your pelvic and groin area, you wouldn’t be very healthy, but you would live.
- During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools. Actually, Saliva is more important than you realize. If your saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.
- The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm. The egg is actually the only cell in the body that is visible by the naked eye.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue and the hardest bone is the jawbone.
- Human feet have 52 bones, accounting for one quarter of all the human body’s bones.
- Feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
- The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades. The reason it doesn’t eat away at your stomach is that the cells of your stomach wall renew themselves so frequently that you get a new stomach lining every three to four days.
- The human lungs contain approximately 2,400 kilometers (1,500 mi) of airways and 300 to 500 million hollow cavities, having a total surface area of about 70 square meters, roughly the same area as one side of a tennis court. Furthermore, if all of the capillaries that surround the lung cavities were unwound and laid end to end, they would extend for about 992 kilometers. Also, your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
- Sneezes regularly exceed 100 mph, while coughs clock in at about 60 mph.
- Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
- Your body has enough iron in it to make a nail 3 inches long.
- Earwax production is necessary for good ear health. It protects the delicate inner ear from bacteria, fungus, dirt and even insects. It also cleans and lubricates the ear canal.
- Everyone has a unique smell, except for identical twins, who smell the same.
- Your teeth start growing 6 months before you are born. This is why one out of every 2,000 newborn infants has a tooth when they are born.
- A baby’s head is one-quarter of its total length, but by the age of 25 will only be one-eighth of its total length. This is because people’s heads grow at a much slower rate than the rest of their bodies.
- Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood the number is reduced to 206. Some of the bones, like skull bones, get fused into each other, bringing down the total number.
- It’s not possible to tickle yourself. This is because when you attempt to tickle yourself you are totally aware of the exact time and manner in which the tickling will occur, unlike when someone else tickles you.
- Less than one third of the human race has 20-20 vision. This means that two out of three people cannot see perfectly.
- Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents. But if you are a woman, you are a better smeller than men, and will remain a better smeller throughout your life.
- The human body is estimated to have 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
- The three things pregnant women dream most of during their first trimester are frogs, worms and potted plants. Scientists have no idea why this is so, but attribute it to the growing imbalance of hormones in the body during pregnancy.
- The life span of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair. But don’t worry, you must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone.
- The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as an encyclopedia. Your brain uses 20% of the oxygen that enters your bloodstream, and is itself made up of 80% water. Though it interprets pain signals from the rest of the body, the brain itself cannot feel pain.
- The tooth is the only part of the human body that can’t repair itself.
- Your eyes are always the same size from birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.
- By 60 years of age, 60% of men and 40% of women will snore.
- We are about 1 cm taller in the morning than in the evening, because during normal activities during the day, the cartilage in our knees and other areas slowly compress.
- The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb, even while you are sleeping. In fact, the brain is much more active at night than during the day.
- Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour. Neurons continue to grow throughout human life. Information travels at different speeds within different types of neurons.
- It is a fact that people who dream more often and more vividly, on an average have a higher Intelligence Quotient.
- The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger.
- Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body. This is true for men as well as women.
- There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee.
- A human fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months.
- By the age of 60, most people will have lost about half their taste buds.
- About 32 million bacteria call every inch of your skin home. But don’t worry, a majority of these are harmless or even helpful bacteria.
- The colder the room you sleep in, the higher the chances are that you’ll have a bad dream.
- Human lips have a reddish color because of the great concentration of tiny capillaries just below the skin.
- Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute.
- Like fingerprints, every individual has an unique tongue print that can be used for identification.
- A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it has been decapitated.
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
- Humans can make do longer without food than sleep. Provided there is water, the average human could survive a month to two months without food depending on their body fat and other factors. Sleep deprived people, however, start experiencing radical personality and psychological changes after only a few sleepless days. The longest recorded time anyone has ever gone without sleep is 11 days, at the end of which the experimenter was awake, but stumbled over words, hallucinated and frequently forgot what he was doing.
- The most common blood type in the world is Type O. The rarest blood type, A-H or Bombay blood, due to the location of its discovery, has been found in less than hundred people since it was discovered
- Every human spent about half an hour after being conceived, as a single cell. Shortly afterward, the cells begin rapidly dividing and begin forming the components of a tiny embryo.
- Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do. This is largely due to the fact that a majority of the machines and tools we use on a daily basis are designed for those who are right handed, making them somewhat dangerous for lefties to use and resulting in thousands of accidents and deaths each year.
- Your ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid than when you aren’t.
- Koalas and primates are the only animals with unique fingerprints.
- Humans are the only animals to produce emotional tears.
- The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet in the air.
And now that you’ve had your science lesson for the day, you can happily move forward in the world!
August 12, 2013
Thirty five years ago on a 100+ degree Saturday afternoon at 2:00 in the afternoon at the United Methodist Church in Springville, IA, I began a journey with my best friend, the love of my life, Carla Rae “Casey” Jones. It hasn’t always been easy, but I am still completely and hopelessly in love with her. As our journey continues I can only thank God that He blessed me and led me to such a wonderful person. Happy Anniversary, Casey. I love you.
Next Page »
July 16, 2013
A few random thoughts on our vacation detailed in the previous post.
- Pittsburgh, at least the North Shore, seems to close up shop on Friday nights. There was only one place open on the street where our B&B was.
- Boston was the most pedestrian-friendly city we visited.
- You could not pay me enough to live and/or work in New York City.
- When I thought of Pittsburgh before this trip, I thought of steel mills and ash and suet. I was really impressed with the city.
- Baltimore’s Inner Harbor was the best place to people-watch.
- Orioles Park at Camden Yards was the nicest stadium we visited. All of them were nice, but Orioles Park was just a bit nicer.
- Cleveland has a very nice fireworks display
- The Parador Inn was the coolest and best place we stayed.
- We had the best seats at PNC Park, just a few rows up from field level and a few seats over from the Pirate’s dugout.
- The worst place we stayed was the Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown. In it’s defense, one of their elevators was not working. But their breakfast area layout was bad and caused much waiting.
- EVERY American should walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. We all need to be reminded of just how much our Founding Fathers risked. Too often today we talk about sacrifice but mean spending a couple of hours extra at work; each one of our Founding Fathers risked not only their lives but their family and property as well.
- Why is it that every Expressway seems to have traffic patterns better suited to tortoises? The Cross-Bronx Expressway was probably too slow for tortoises.
- PNC Park in Pittsburgh had the best pretzels.
- Orioles Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore had the best selection of restaurants in and around the ball park.
- The seating at Progressive Field in Cleveland had the most leg room.
- No self service gas pumps in New Jersey = lower unempolyment.
- I didn’t have to wear a hat at any of the ball parks; our seats were always in the shade, at least until the sun went down.
- The tour of the Sam Adams Brewery was free, plus you could get two glasses: an 8 ounce etched glass and a 18 ounce beer snifter.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is one of the coolest places on the planet.
- All the games we attended were night games.
- The fans at all the ball parks were very friendly.
- Even walking back to our hotel/B&B after the ball game, I didn’t feel threatened by crime at any of the cities we visited.